Introducing Curbside Upcycling:
The social distancing-approved way to transform your vintage china into tiered stands!
A few weeks ago, a client contacted me about repurposing her mother’s fine china that she found recently while spring cleaning (to keep busy during quarantine, naturally).
Since she lived just a few miles away in Long Island City (Queens), the client asked if she would be able to drive her china over to my workshop instead of shipping it. This would allow her to avoid a trip to the post office, save in shipping fees, and reduce the chance of anything getting damaged in transit. Since I'm pretty much home all the time anyway these days, I thought, "Why not?"
And that's how our new Curbside Upcycling service came to be! The whole process worked out incredibly well. We set up a time for the client and her husband to come by with their china, and in less than an hour their old teacups, saucers, and assorted plates were transformed into six sets of lovely 3-tier stands and a few ring dishes.
I packed all of their newly upcycled china back up with the same newspaper and bubble wrap they had used to bring it to me (yay for eco-friendly packaging!) and texted when their order was ready. As it turns out, the client an had spent their time enjoying the sunshine and exploring our dynamic and charming Park Slope neighborhood—so much so that they seemed disappointed it didn’t take me longer!
Before they left, they let me take their picture with two of their creations. (This part is not required!!) You can’t tell, but they assured me they were smiling behind their masks 😊
Here's how it works:
- Select the sizes/configurations of tiered stands you want to create, You can also contact us to set up a quick consultation to talk through your options.
Choose from among your hardware options. Place your order on our website. You will receive an email with our physical address and we’ll set up an appointment.
Drive, walk, or even bike over to our workshop in Park Slope, Brooklyn to drop off your china.
- While you wait, we will measure, drill, and assemble your china according to the sizes/configurations you’ve chosen. We'll text you when your order is ready for pick up; estimate roughly 15 minutes wait time per 3-Tier stand.
- We’ll pack up your newly transformed treasures for safe transport, and you can be on your way!
Don't live near NYC? Not a problem. We continue to offer our popular Mail-In Upcycle service, as featured in The Washington Post. Use our website to place your mail-in order, or contact us to set up a complimentary consultation.
The Fine Print:
- You must purchase your configurations on the website in order to upcycle your china.
- Before checking out, be sure to select local pickup so you don't pay for shipping. I will reach out to you within 48 hours to schedule your appointment.
- There is a $100 order minimum for the curbside upcycling service.
Have additional china you want to donate? Bring it with you and we'll bring it to our friends at Big Reuse, an environmental nonprofit based in Gowanus, Brooklyn that is dedicated to combating climate change.
What Customers Are Saying: